Saturday, February 12, 2011

SCR Update #5 – Meet the Staff: Desiree Reed, The Graphic Design Director

SCR Update #5 – Meet the Staff: Desiree Reed, The Graphic Design Director

Last year’s edition of The Sand Canyon Review saw the introduction of a great up-and-coming artist and graphic designer, Desiree Reed. Luckily for us, she has returned this year to be the Graphic Designer Director. We are honored to have her back and think the readers of our magazine would like to learn more about her.
In the coming weeks, we’ll spotlight our other staff, so make sure to come back. Have a great week, everyone. We hope to have you back next time.
If you’d like to learn more about The Sand Canyon Review, you can find us at these sites
http://www.facebook.com/thesandcanyonreview
http://www.myspace.com/thesandcanyonreview
http://thesandcanyonreview.blogspot.com/

You can also submit your art, photography, poetry and short stories to
SCRsubmissions@gmail.com

- David Dysart, PR Director



Growing up with art, I knew that I wanted to become some type of artist. I mean why not fulfill my dream and have a career that I truly would enjoy? Attending community college gave me time to decide who I wanted to become while also getting me closer to that dream. I adored graphic design. I learned working with computers and art is both challenging and delightful.
Through a great friend, I heard about the Sand Canyon Review. I thought this was a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience in my field of art. I attended my first magazine class in the spring of 2010. Not exactly knowing what I was getting myself into, I ended up having my hands full. Beginning in the graphic design group, things were pretty slow. But when it came closer towards the end, there was so much work that needed to be finished. Throughout this magazine there were ups and downs dealing with luck, compromise, and collaboration. I gained a lot of experience and knowledge throughout this magazine process. Becoming a graphic design member gave me the work experience that I needed to add to my portfolio for the future. I became more familiar with the graphic design programs InDesign, Illustrator, and even Photoshop. I learned a lot!!! I became more aware of the hard work people put into different magazines around me. Believe me when I say putting in time, effort, and hard work, pays off in the end to create a great magazine.
My future goal is to graduate with at least a BA or bachelors degree in graphic design. I wish to become a great graphic designer. Now I'm coming back into the magazine for a second year, this time as the graphic design director. Everyday is a learning experience. Mistakes happen and all you can do is learn from them and grow. With the Sand Canyon Review, I tend to stress over perfection. I hope to pass down my knowledge as a graphic designer to those who wish to learn it and experience it. All I can say now is get ready graphic design group, we have a lot of work ahead of us. Let’s help make this year one of the best magazines!

No comments:

Post a Comment